Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Autumn at the Lake

Even though it is October it didn't feel like a crisp autumn day today at the lake.  I was hoping to be able to capture some beautiful fall colors at the lake and to share with you why autumn is my favorite season, but with the dry and warm weather it seems that all the leaves were muted in color or had already fallen to the ground.  I did manage to capture a few red sumac leaves that were just barley hanging on...


Why do I love autumn?
I love the crisp fall air, the sound of leaves crunching beneath my feet, and the smell of fallen leaves.  But the reason why I love fall the most is that it reminds me that it is time to slow down, savor, and enjoy.  The autumnal transition from summer to winter can be short in Minnesota, so I savor every crisp, sunny morning and delight in the changes around me.  Autumn is a time to re-evaluate what is important and who we are and to spend the winter months further defining these things, to emerge in the spring in a way reborn, anew.


This year the autumn transition is especially significant for me as I find myself 21 weeks pregnant today!  So I am slowing down, re-evaluating, and will spend the first part of winter further defining what it means to be a mother, and when spring comes I will emerge not just a woman but also a mother, forever changed.


I managed to capture my own pregnant shadow today at the lake while my parents and aunt were busy working on the final seasonal projects before battening down the hatches for winter.
Pregnancy changes us  not only physically, but also mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.  From the day I found out I was going to be a mother my thinking, motivations, goals, and outlook have undergone changes and they continue and will continue to change as I further define the role of mother for myself.  Today I am enjoying the transitional period and just soaking up the final rays of autumn before winter sets in around us.
Our border collie Morgan enjoyed spending the day at the lake as well, playing with anyone who would throw the frisbee for her!


Hope you all had a lovely weekend!!  I'm looking forward to my Monday morning yoga class to start the week off refreshed and focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment