Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Squash Curry, Tea, and Surprises!

Last night I made squash curry for dinner and today as promised I am sharing the recipe with you.  I found a similar recipe in the Sunset Magazine October issue and adapted it to fit our needs.  Below is my version of the recipe.







Squash Curry 
(adapted from Sunset Magazine Oct 2011)

Prep time: 30 min 
Cook time: 25 min

Ingredients 
1 red kuri squash (about 3 lbs) – Cubed 
1⁄2 tsp salt 
2 Tbsp olive oil 
2 yellow onions – halved and sliced 
1 anaheim pepper – minced 
1 tsp cumin 
1 tsp curry powder 
1⁄2 tsp ground coriander 
6 dried bay leaves 
1 cinnamon stick (2-3” long) 
1 can light coconut milk (14.5 oz) 
1 cup raw cashews 
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Directions: 
Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cubed squash, sliced onions, and 1⁄2 tsp salt. Cook for 10-12 minutes.

Add minced pepper, cumin, curry, coriander, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick. Cook 2 minutes or until fragrant.

Add coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in cashews and lemon juice. 

Serve over rice. 

© 2011 Under the Linden Tree

If you decide to try this recipe please leave a comment below letting me know how it turned out.  Also remember to start cooking the rice in your rice cooker or whatever other method you use to cook your rice as soon as you are done prepping the squash, onions, and pepper (otherwise the curry will be ready before your rice, and once you smell the delicious curry you aren't going to want to wait for your rice!).

Hope you all had an enjoyable Tuesday!

My day started out great with a long fall walk around our neighborhood with my husband and our dogs. I even picked up a giant Maple and Oak leaf from our walk.  I was going to share a photo of them with you, but our Border Collie Morgan got to them before I could.  So alas no photos, all I have are memories and shredded leaves!

I dropped Pete off at class and headed over to my favorite coffee shop while I waited for my late afternoon yoga session to start.  If you like Iced Tea and you live in the St.Paul area you have to check out Bread & Chocolate on Grand ave.  They have the best blackberry iced tea!!




When we arrived home there were a few surprises waiting for us on the front step!!





Haley Bonar's new limited edition LP Golder.  Look at the fun creative packaging from Graveface Records .  We not only got the album we ordered, but also a pixie stick, sticker, puzzle pieces, book page, and coloring sheet!!  We felt like little kids, and Pete even offered to share the pixie stick with me, but I politely declined.

The other surprise waiting were the invitations we had ordered from Minted for our upcoming baby shower that my mom, aunt, and mother-in-law are hosting for me.  Here's a sneak peak...


Tomorrow I will be sharing the first of my Wednesday Quick & Easy recipes.  If you are in a pinch to make a mid-week dinner I may just have your solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment